Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Being Portuguese.

Have you ever seen the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding?  A lot of it reminds me of my family.  Except, instead of a roasting  sheep ( I think it was a sheep) on the front lawn, it's a pig.  Yes, a WHOLE pig, you heard me.
"There are two kinds of people in this world; people who are Greek, and people who want to be Greek"
If he had said Portuguese instead of Greek, I might've confused him for one of my relatives.(ok, that's a hyperbole but whatever..)


My mom often compares what it was like to marry into a Portuguese family with that movie..


-------
Other stuff about minha familia portugues..


 I noticed that they have a habit of saying "yeah".
What I mean is this:
"You put the turkey in the fridge, yeah?"
"No.."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah."
I have no idea how it started, but I noticed a lot of Portuguese Americans have the same habit..
This probably has something to do with the broken English (that I didn't recognize as broken English until recently..o.O)  and the Portingles (a mixture of Portuguese and English, mis amigos gringos.)
that they speak most of the time.


Surprisingly, I know almost no Portuguese ( and neither do most of my second cousins) . X__X   My dad doesn't really speak it, but he understands it. I bet if he went to the Açores ("ç" is pronounced like an "s") or any other place that speaks mainly Portuguese, he would be fluent after only a few days.


Another strange thing: It took a while for my grandpa (a native speaker of Portuguese who understands Spanish, some Italian, and some French) to clearly understand Brazilian Portuguese. Also, his sister has a hard time understanding people from the mainland (my family is from the Açores, if you didn't figure it out by now).


There are a lot of dialects of Portuguese, I suppose..hhmm. I wonder how they speak it in Madeira ( I have relatives who've been there before, and they speak of it as if it's an other country, yet it's part of Portugal, and it's closer to the Açores than the mainland..)  Though, I imagine it's similar to the Açorean accent.


Also, it's considered a big deal if you don't have bread with dinner when you have guests over. :3


Ahh, how I love Popsicks (a type of roll, the "s" is pronounced like an "sh")


Actually, I love Portuguese food in general.  Most of it is either seafood or pork. :3


Oh, and Sumol. I love Sumol, too.  Sumol is basically soda with fruit juice in it.  I like the pineapple one the best, but orange is more common, and also very good. The mango one is gross. The passion fruit one tastes a lot like the orange one. I'm sure there are other flavors, but those are the only ones I can thing of at the moment.


I don't know too much about Portuguese music. The only genre of Portuguese music I know of is Fado. It's a lot like the blues..lyrically at least..
XD


I"m actually more familiar with Spanish music..


Another thing: Portuguese people are very religious. In my relatives' houses there's a statue of Mary or Jesus in every room..and a lot go them go to church regularly
---




Yeaaaah..that's it.... for now.




EDIT: Soccer is a big part of Portuguese culture (as I've said before)...Also, I know one of my cousin's age because I know that her christening was during the World Cup. XD
-Phoenix


No comments:

Post a Comment